U.S. Senate Fails to Pass Disability Treaty
Washington, DC - ADAPT joins the rest of the disability community in expressing our deep disappointment that the majority of Republican Senators voted against ratifying the Convention on the Rights of People with Disabilities (CRPD).
Whatever the individual rationale, this vote is a slap in the face against the community integration principles that are the foundation of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and the disability community which has worked so hard to secure ratification of this treaty.
SKIL to Close Yates Center Office
Parsons, Ks – The Southeast Kansas Independent Living Center (SKIL), based in Parsons will be closing the Woodson County SKIL Office, located at 119 W. Butler in Yates Center on December 31, 2012. According to SKIL Chief Executive Officer Shari Coatney, this action is being taken in response to changes brought about by KanCare, which is being implemented by the state of Kansas.
Family Peace Initiative Program to Continue Operation
Parsons, Ks –The Southeast Kansas Independent Living Center (SKIL), based in Parsons and Halley Counseling Services, PA (HCS) have entered into a Memorandum of Understanding Agreement involving the Family Peace Initiative (FPI), a certified program focused on helping those who batter make lasting changes to stop domestic violence. SKIL will terminate administration of the batterer intervention program December 31, 2012. HCS will take over operation of the program on January 1, 2013, with no interruption in services. The contact phone number for FPI will continue to be 620-778-8026.
November 2012 SKIL Newsletter
Check out the November 2012 issue of the SKIL Newsletter. CLICK HERE to READ NOW.
Here is this quarter’s edition of the SKIL Newsletter. You can download and print the pdf or just read it on your computer!
It contains information regarding changes to how the U.S. Treasury will distribute benefits starting early in 2013, as well as info on KanCare. Also, please check out the Special Message from SKIL Director of Development Dave Sorrick on page 4.
All of that and more, just download the pdf CLICK HERE.
Susan Schulze has been a large part of SKIL’s growth
She first joined SKIL as an assistant to one of the directors, Greg Jones. A few months later, she took on personnel duties as the organization was establishing outreach offices in each of the counties it served.
Schulze said she started out with one file cabinet.
“As we continued to grow and grow,” Susan said, “the files also grew – especially with personal care attendants (PCAs)”
The customer base went from a couple of hundred to more than 5,000.
From USICD: Thank you!!! CRPD is on the move!
On Tuesday we marked a major milestone... the Motion to Proceed on the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities passed in the Senate! (See vote count here). All of your incredible work is paying off.
The Motion to Proceed allows the CRPD to be brought up for consideration. Now that this hurdle is passed, amendments will be discussed and then when the Senate Majority Leader feels confident we have the 67 votes we need, he will move to a final vote. Below are materials about filibusters and cloture - procedural issues that may come up.
There is no time to waste -- this is THE TIME to get all of the YES votes firmed up!
- Create a W2 Account to download electronic W2
- Ms. Wheelchair Kansas seeking contestants, nominations for contestants
- State readies KanCare information website; schedules listening session & webinar
- National Family Caregivers Month: Because Caregivers Matter
- Medicaid enrollees to have KanCare packets by month's end
- Vets 101
- Colyer, Disability Mentoring Day Committee earn state award
- Franklin Delano Roosevelt our 32nd President
- Weekly Advocacy Monitor
- Using a paint brush or a camera, Skip Smith is an advocate for SKIL
- My Home for the Holidays
- Help NCD Kick Off Our Online "Family Faces of Disability" Photo Album
- Notice of Stakeholder Meetings
- KanCare Calls
- To Matter, Your Right to Vote Requires Access and Voting Questionnaire
- Know Your Rights When You Vote November 6th
- Voting Accessibility Questionnaire
- New Information Resource Available for Older Adults and Persons with Disabilities
- Pam Spohn
- Get Out to Vote
- KanCare Fact Sheet and Time Line
- NCD Wants to Hear About Your Voting Experiences!
- Breast Cancer Awareness
- Jim Kleinsorge
- Protecting the Right to Vote
- Help Make NCIL an Even Greater Non-Profit
- Stakeholder Meetings in six communities
- Children's Health Month
- Call for Award Nominations
- Social Security Announces 1.7% Benefit Increase for 2013
- New Internet Closed Captioning Requirements Now in Effect
- Disability Updates
- Medicare Open Enrollment
- Call for Applications
- CILs Receive an Increase in Federal Funding
- Information Alert: NCIL Response to OIG/RSA Report
- World Arthiritis Day
- Governor's Proclamation - Kansas Disability Employment Awareness Month
- Steve Lardy and Jim Zaleski Win Fishing Show Award
- Everybody Plays
- Unemployment Rate Dropped to 7.8 Percent in September
- KanCare Changes
- suitcase portable ramp
- Southwest Kansas Area Agency on Aging to Coordinate Aging and Disability Resource Centers
- SILCK Funded and Moving Forward
- CAP Releases New Mobile App
- National Disability Employment Awareness Month
- Rocking the Cradle Report
- Frank Sesno - Moderator of the National Forum on Disability Issues
- Take Action Now!